You’ve probably seen studies about how a one-second delay in page load time can hurt your conversion rate, page views, and customer satisfaction. They’re sobering statistics and proof that on the web, seconds really do count. Some of the biggest websites have reported increases in sales and engagement, by simply improving their site speed. Here’s a great infographic on the topic, courtesy of WPEngine.
That’s pretty crazy, but makes total sense. No one likes a slow web site.
Want to check your site load speed right now? Our favorite free tools are GTMetrix and PageSpeed Insights by Google. Both of these sites will give you wonderful data to work with to diagnose and address any issues.
The most common causes we’ve seen for a slow web site include:
- Massive images that are not properly optimized for the web (scale those images down and run them through an optimizer!)
- Poorly coded themes and plugins (always check reviews and support for signs of potential issues).
- Too many plugins, especially plugins that overlap in functionality with others.
- Bloated plugins that connect to third party services, causing too many redirects (amazing how many plugins do this).
- Scripts, PHP and CSS modifications not being optimized.
- Bad or non-optimized web hosting (It’s 2017. if you’re using WordPress, get a WordPress optimized host, like SiteGround or WPEngine)
If you’re having speed issues, check your website for any of these issues and correct them to quickly speed up your load time.
Other posts that might interest you:
- Free Tools That Help Diagnose (and Fix) a Slow Website
- Keeping Your WordPress Site Safe from Hackers
- 4 Ways to Get More Viewers on Your Live Video Streams
Need Help with Your Slow WordPress Site?
Don't know where to start, or don't understand the gibberish in those speed reports? Maybe you just don't have the time to optimize your site. We'd be happy to help. Get in touch for a quote.Help Me Speed Up My Site
Get instant access to our free online library and toolbox full of helpful time-saving ebooks, printable checklists, royalty-free graphics, training videos, templates, shareable social media images, and much more! We’re pretty confident you’ll find something useful in there that will help you build your business online!